Pleasant Grove Baptist Church was organized some years ago by a few Christian brothers and sisters who were prompted by the spirit of GOD to have a place of worship where they could assemble from time to time and worship GOD according to the dictates of their conscious.

The first worship was in an old log cabin on the farm of Mr. Andrew Farrish under the leadership of Reverend T.W. Woodfolk. Brothers Beverly Brown, Horace Wilson, Edward Allen, Joe Sorrell and their wives and other members and friends both black and white joined hands and decided to buy a location for a church. They appointed brother Allen and brother Sorrell to locate a site. Brother Allen learned about the site upon which the church stands today.

The original church building was erected in 1874, about 100 yards from the church’s present location, under a brush harbour on Walker Jefferson’s farm. They organized the church, the pastor and members decided to build a small house, our old church in which they worshipped for a number of years. GOD prospered the followers. Under the cool and steady leadership of reverend Woodfolk, we increased in membership until it became necessary for them to have a larger building. They were successful in building the house in which we are worshipping today.

The old building continued to be used for youth gatherings and serving hall until it was torn down. From 1874 to 1907, the year of his death, reverend Woodfolk led his army through joys, sorrows, and dangers seen and unseen.

During those years GOD rested Pleasant Grove on the following pillars: Beverly Brown, Ceasar Southall, George Sorrell, Webb Mills, Charles Hawkins, Edward Allen, Eugene Goggins, Charles Thomas, James Williams, Wallace Kennedy Sr., and Wallace Kennedy Jr., Walker Jefferson, Joseph Sorrell, Winston Estes, Herbert Wood, George Lewis, Frank Williams, Isaac Smith, Joseph Mills and James Jefferson.

From this body of Christian brothers and sisters proceeded the following ministers: Reverend Charles Hawkins, D.S. Woodfolk, Dudley Givens, Isaac Kennedy, James L. Carr, Jackson Payne, Chris Early and others. We were fortunate to have the reverend D. L. Gofney to lead the church after the death of Reverend Woodfolk. Past ministers have included George. E. Blakey, Harry Flood, Elder Louis Jefferson, Elder Joseph Kennedy, James Wright, Maxwell Minis, Warner Jones, T.R. Hanner, the reverend Amy C. Reid and at present the Pastor Shirley H. Chapman and Rev. Ralph L. Carr.

As the families grew and began to spread out there came a need for another church. As a result, the Evergreen Baptist Church was built in Proffit, VA, giving the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church its title as Evergreen’s “mother church.” We are happy to have had this history recorded.

However, there is still more history that was carried in the people’s hearts and minds. Thank GOD for all those families who dedicated their lives and worked so hard to give us a strong and memorable foundation. On October 22, 1994 the Reverend Shirley H. Chapman of Cobham VA was installed as our pastor. Today she still leads this flock, and has won the hearts and attention of many. She believes what she preaches and she preaches what she believes. She lets go and lets GOD. Under her Spiritual Leadership we continue to grow in love and in the Spirit of Jesus Christ. We are thankful for her as she lets GOD lead her in leading Pleasant Grove.
Church History

{Copyright (C) 2011 PGBC_CARRMARK, Inc. All Rights Reserved}
Around The Site
New Here
Meet The Staff
Contact Us
Join Us
Get Involved
About Us
Q&A
Calendar
Photos
Ministries
Bible Study
Links
Home
Home
New Here
Contact Us
Calendar
About Us
Join Us
Get Involved
Giving